By Harija R.
Let’s get healthy NOW!
Two easy recipes that can make you excited for spring!
Impress your loved ones and cook like a chef!
Creamy Asparagus Pasta
- 8 ounces whole-wheat penne pasta
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 4 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
- 4 teaspoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 3 minutes less than the package directions. Add asparagus and continue cooking until the pasta and asparagus are just tender, 3 minutes more. Drain and return to the pot.
- Meanwhile, whisk milk, mustard, flour, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant and lightly browned, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Whisk in the milk mixture. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly, and cook until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in tarragon, lemon zest and juice.
- Stir the sauce into the pasta-asparagus mixture. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until the sauce is thick, creamy and coats the pasta, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup Parmesan. Divide the pasta among 4 bowls and top with the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan.
Asparagus and Radish Salad
- 1 bunch asparagus, (about 1 pound), trimmed
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2-3 dashes Asian red chile sauce, such as sriracha (optional)
- 1 bunch radishes, trimmed and cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped scallion
- Fill a medium bowl with ice water and place by the stove. Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket.
- Thinly slice asparagus stalks on the diagonal, leaving the tips whole. Place in the steamer basket and steam until tender-crisp, about 1 minute. Transfer the asparagus to the ice water. Drain.
- Combine vinegar, soy sauce, canola oil, sesame oil, ginger and chile sauce (if using) in a large bowl. Add the asparagus, radishes and scallion; toss to combine. Serve warm or room temperature.
Fashion Weekly Magazine wishes good luck to everyone who tries out these recipes.