“Any cupcake consumed before 9AM is, technically, a muffin.”?Brian P. Cleary
The cupcake. A cute, soft, sugary treat that has the ability to conjure up memories of childhood. In recent years, this run of the mill dessert has received much attention – speciality cupcake shops have been popping up across cities, reality shows are being aired surrounding the decadent dessert and the delicious treat can be seen dangling off a fashionistas wrists thanks to Swarovski and Tiffany and Co.
Here’s an irresistible cupcake recipe that will make your heart flutter.
Blueberry Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
For the cupcakes:
1 3/4 cups cake flour, not self-rising
1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch cubes; room temperature
4 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 ½ cups fresh blueberries plus 2 tablespoons flour
For the frosting:
8 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
2 pounds confectioners’ sugar, sifted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (use clear vanilla extract to retain a bright white colour)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper liners and set aside. In a large, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt; using an electric hand mixer, mix on low speed until combined. Add butter, mixing until just coated with flour.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and vanilla. With mixer on medium speed, add wet ingredients in 3 parts. Be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl before each addition. Beat the batter until ingredients are thoroughly combined, but do not overbeat.
4. In a medium bowl, gently toss the blueberries with 2 tablespoons of flour, the carefully fold the blueberries in the batter.
4. Use a large scoop to divide batter evenly among liners, filling about 2/3 full. Bake, rotating pan halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 18 to 22 minutes.
4. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat process with remaining batter.
For the frosting:
1. In a large bowl with an electric hand mixer, cream together, cream cheese and butter until well combined.
2. With the mixer on low, gradually add the confectioners’ sugar until thoroughly incorporated and smooth. Add vanilla and mix to combine. Pipe cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. If desired, garnish cupcakes with a fresh blueberry.
RECIPE and IMAGE from MY BAKING ADDICTION