by Mackenzie Belcastro
As much as we love show season, it can get a little hectic. It takes a lot of work to stay on top of everything—the endless shows, the launch parties, not to mention the reporting on everything you see and do. Needless to say, we sympathize with our fellow dedicated fashion folk. Even the best of us need some help. So, if you happened to get lost in the flurry have no fear; we got you covered. Below we’ve rounded up the greatest moments from the fashion weeks that have passed thus far.
New York Fashion Week
The greatest shows we saw were, without a doubt, Diane von Furstenberg, Marchesa (forever and always), Jenny Packham, and Vera Wang. These designers really brought it with beautiful, flowing dresses in delicate materials; think embellished and embroidered tulle and lace. In the case of DVF, incredible safari-inspired separates were presented in bold colours, and, true to the brand’s style, the bottoms had a flattering, elongating effect.
The need to know extras?
- A freight elevator broke down and it held about 50 high profile editors. The result? Heels were discarded as these determined fashionistas scrambled to climb out of the elevator shaft and make it to their next shows.
- Birkenstocks were everywhere. Seriously.
- Slips are going to be huge this Spring.
- The wet hair look is back.
- We’re telling the truth here: Alexander Wang’s after party had naked people.
London Fashion Week
Filled with dark palettes, geometric prints and heavier-than-expected materials, this week was one big (ultra chic) surprise. It appeared as if the rainy weather took a toll on designers; collections were very.. er, moody. Our favourites? Tom Ford—who showed the most fabulous leather jacket, Christopher Kane, Simone Rocha, Giles, and Peter Pilotto—who’s bright prints really stood out against the sea of dark neutrals.
Some interesting tidbits
- Peter Pilotto’s runway show came with an announcement. The brand’s collaborating with Target; the limited time collection will be available in February.
- Adorable mother-daughter duos were rampant.
- Olivia Palermo was at every show, or so it seemed. She also nailed it in the styling department on all occasions, as per usual.
- Sheer skirts are going to be so of-the-moment when Spring hits.
Milan Fashion Week
Well it just kicked off Wednesday but there have already been a number of powerhouses showing their SS14 collections. Roberto Cavalli’s collection featured neon prints. Prada’s included lustworthy jeweled bras, super stylish military-inspired khaki dresses, and shirts with portraits on them that remind women of their power. Versace’s collection had pulsing sex appeal, what with the fashion house’s use of leather and heavy metal that, by the way, was the perfect balance of punk and glamour; we’re already dying for those fitted black jeans with the cut-out flower design on the thigh.
A few fabulous moments off the runway (so far)
- Blake Lively and Anna Wintour cozied up front row at Gucci. Sigh, what a perfect, fashion-savvy friendship.
- Stuart Weitzman’s launch party was held at his new flagship store. Here he broadcasted his latest campaign Made for Walking that features a stunning Kate Moss.
- Vogue Italia and P&G Prestige held what could arguably be dubbed the party of the century, held at a Milanese mansion to kick off fashion week. Actors, models and designers came together to fête the occasion and were met with many mannequins suited up in ornate paper dresses.