Every Fall we trade in our sandals and sundresses for boots and cozy knits. It is, without a doubt, a period of transition that layer-loving fashionistas look forward to every year. But prepping your wardrobe for this change in seasons isn’t your only task; Fall brings with it the perfect opportunity to revamp your home. Below are several tips for doing just that!
- Add soft carpets to your bare floors. This will keep your feet warm as the temperatures drop and ensure a pop of colour; rich fall colours that will make a fabulous statement include burgundy, mustard yellow, and burnt orange. At Fashion Weekly our material of preference is wool as it is most easily added to a room. If you’re looking to make a bigger statement however, try a plush oriental carpet!
- Toss some statement pillows into the mix. Find an assortment of decorative pillows that fit with your fall colour scheme of choice and add them to your sofa. Be adventurous and take chances with bold colours; you won’t regret it! You may also want throw a soft blanket over your couch—perfect for adding style, and snuggling in!
- Curtains have that unexpected ability to transform a room. They help keep cold air out and make you feel protected and comfy in your warm home. Heavier materials are best suited for fall; so try to look for velvets or suedes.
- Candles create an ambiance like no other. As the summer days fade away and sunlight seems more and more fleeting, these accessories become all the more prevalent. Not only does the lighting of candles mean a budget-friendly electric bill but it also means creating a romantic, blissful atmosphere. And if you get scented candles, then you can create a home that even smells like the comforts of fall. (Try Bath & Body Works, their Fall collection is to die for.)
- Scented room infusers, on a similar note, can provide a refreshing fall smell to your house on a consistent, all day basis. Love the smell of pumpkin? Cinnamon? You can find any and all scents you pine for at a variety of stores, like The Body Shop. Wake up and smell the new season!
- Finally, little things here and there can make all the difference—flower arrangements and even coffee table books can provide your home with the extra touches it needs to really join the Fall season in full-swing! LifeStyleMirror provides us with the top coffee table books for Fall 2013 (like Vanity Fair 100 Years); check it out here: http://bit.ly/15waY1G
If you want to go a step further, look to making over your bedroom. Start with your linens—get plumper pillows and a heavier duvet to keep warm. Then make your way to your walls. Upgrade your wall dressings with Fall-friendly art, art infused with warmer, richer tones.
The ways to upgrade your home are truly endless. These tips can help you in your journey to a paradisal home that your friends will be just longing to visit.