By Pamela Mermigas
Winter Fruit Salad
Everyone universally loves salad. Here is a recipe for a sweet tasty salad that is perfect for the winter season that is approaching.
– 1/2 cup sugar
– 1 1-inch piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
– 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds scraped out
– 1 lemon
– 5 large navel or blood oranges
– 2 mangoes, peeled and diced
– 2 firm bananas, peeled and diced
– 5 kiwis, peeled and diced
– 12 kumquats, very thinly sliced crosswise, seeds removed
– 1 cup pomegranate seeds (from 1 pomegranate)
- Combine the sugar, 2 cups water, the ginger and vanilla seeds in a sauce pan
- Use a vegetable peeler to remove wide strips of zest from the lemon and 1 orange, add to the saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer 5 minutes. Refrigerate until cold.
- Meanwhile, peel the remaining oranges with a knife
- Hold an orange over a large bowl and cut along both sides of each membrane to free the segments, letting them fall into the bowl. Squeeze each empty membrane to release the juices. Repeat with the remaining oranges.
- Add the mangoes, bananas, kiwis, kumquats and pomegranate seeds and gently toss
- Pour the syrup over the fruit and chill overnight.
- Before serving, remove the citrus zest, ginger and vanilla pod. Spoon the fruit and syrup into bowls.
5-minute Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream
Even though summer is gone, and winter is just around the corner, there is always a need for frozen sweet treats. This recipe is actually pretty healthy it only has five grams of sugar per a ½ cup serving. Take a peek below to make this quick, easy, and healthy treat.
- 1 small very ripe banana
- ½ cup cream
- 12 ounces frozen strawberries
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Add the bananas (first), cream and half the strawberries and blend on high for 1 minute.
- Then add the rest of the strawberries and blend on high until smooth but firm. If needed, scrape the sides of the blender and blend again. Optional – If you like it a bit sweeter, add a few drops of liquid organic stevia.
- Sever or Freeze for 2 hours. If you plan on freezing your ice cream longer then a few hours you can add 1 tsp of rum (while blending) to make your ice cream creamier and smoother